Monday, October 22, 2007

The Center for Ethics and Social Responsibility

Anytime I see universities teaching "ethics" or social responsibility it makes me think twice. It think about the Democrats running the "most ethical congress ever" and Lynne Stewart sitting on an ethics board at a symposium at Hofstra Law. Stewart defended Abdel Rahman or "the blind sheik" who was convicted of planning multiple terrorist attacks in New York City in 1996 . Stewart was disbarred and convicted of conspiring to defraud the United States government, conspiring to provide and conceal material support to terrorists, providing and concealing that support, and making false statements yet Hofstra had this former radical and conduit for terrorists as a lecturer at an ethics seminar.


So anyway I was gloating over my alma mater's victory over Tennessee this weekend when I noticed this announcement for the final round of the Moral Forum. The issue at hand is whether Congress should pass the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act. (which I blogged about here ) Their website states that the DREAM act would provide a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants who entered the country before they turned 16 and have lived in the United States for at least five years. The students would be granted a six-year provisional legal status during which they must attend college (for two years) or serve in the military for at least two years before being eligible for citizenship.

I become even more skeptical of my alma mater's when I read the purpose of Moral Forum :"Moral Forum seeks to help students distinguish between making reasoned judgments about the moral legitimacy of views as opposed to being intolerant and disrespectful toward individuals or cultural groups." So according to this statement if you are against the rewarding illegal aliens for wrong behavior then you are being intolerant or disrespectful towards individuals or cultural groups. I don't like this line of reasoning and I will be following up on it.