Monday, November 19, 2007

I was scammed this week but it's OK.
The bait arrived in the form of a forwarded e-mail giving directions on how to send Christmas cards to the troops at Walter Reed. Christmas cards, wounded soldiers alone for the Holidays, months of recovery; I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Having spent most of last Fall in the hospital myself and knowing how frustrating it can be, I felt this was a great way to show support and provide comfort to our troops. I forwarded ( i hate forwards) the e-mail to all my friends and family(so do my family and friends).

Today, I was sent a link to Snopes describing the exact same e-mail I had received. The kicker is that the post office will not accept mail addressed to, "A Recovering American Soldier" because of security purposes. Duh, I felt like such a rube. I had been had. Fortunately, Snopes listed several organizations that provide assistance to recovering soldiers and to pay for my stupidity, I will be donating to these worthwhile organizations. I can't donate to the magnitude of the "Harry Reid smear letter" but I can do my part. I encourage you all to do the same.

Labels: , , , ,